The story started
Ayurveda describes Kapha diet, herbal remedies, Panchkarma, marma, yoga, alternative medicines, ayurveda massage with herbal powders, meditation and lifestyle for weight loss, Diabetes, Respiratory problems, Asthma and ayurvedic skin care
A kapha pacifying diet favors warm foods with minimum of oil and fat cooked without much of water and hot beverages. Eat freshly prepared vegetable and legume dishes, with proportionately smaller amounts of grains and fruits. The food should be spiced according to taste.
Avoid leftovers, packaged, bottled foods, processed foods, preservatives, artificial ingredients, Sweet, heavy, deep fried and salty foods.
Taste preferences: Bitter, Astringent and Pungent
Foods to Avoid or Reduce
According to Ayurveda avoid large quantities of food–especially at night. Avoid oily and greasy (deep fried) foods, cold (raw) or re-heated foods, heavy foods such as frozen or canned foods and sweet, sour and salty tastes. Avoid cold drinks, cold food, and frozen desserts, ice cream, popsicles, frozen yogurt, rich, creamy foods, sweets, salty foods and alcohol.
Legumes : Tofu, tempeh, chick peas and soy.
Grains : Wheat, rice, all yeasted or sourdough breads.
Fruits : avocado and banana.
Vegetables : Sweet potatoes, tapioca and cucumber
Dairy and beverages : Cold water or drinks, cheese, ice cream, sour cream and yoghurt.
Sweeteners : refined sugar, cake and chocolate.
Non vegetarian : Eggs, meat, seafood.
SPICES Cumin, Coriander, fennel, cardamom, parsley, fresh basil, mint
Foods to enjoy:
According to Ayurveda enjoy a lighter diet of less rich foods. Favor dry, light and crunchy foods. Favor pungent (hot, spicy), bitter and astringent tastes.
Legumes ; Mung, lentils & beans.
Grains : Barley, millet, corn, buckwheat, rye, quinoa, Couscous and oats and whole grain breads (toasted).
Vegetables : All green leafy vegetables, carrot, beets, white potatoes, artichoke, broccoli, corn, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, peas, bell pepper, green beans & peas, sprouts, tender radish. In small amounts tomato, asparagus, zucchini.
Fruits : Apples, pears, figs, papaya, guava, pomegranate, cranberries, persimmon and dry fruits (sulfur free).
Dairy and beverages : Organic skim milk (boiled and served hot), small amounts of ghee. Tea, herbal tea, spice or cinnamon tea.
Spices : Heating spices – ginger, black pepper, cumin, mustard seeds, ajwain, saffron, hing, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, anise, fennel, coriander, dill, mint, garlic, nutmeg,
Tamarind, sea salt, lemon juice.
Nuts and seeds : Small portions of sunflower, sesame and pumpkin seeds, pecans and walnuts.
Oils : Mustard, corn, sesame, olive, flaxseed (all used sparingly).Ghee in small amounts. Use Olive oil for alternate day massage before bathing.
Sweeteners : Raw honey which is not baked or cooked (add after heating has ceased) and jaggery.
Non vegetarian : Chicken
1. Get moving. Physically, get some exercise every single day. Mentally, challenge yourself with new activities—learn a new skill, solve some puzzles or take a class. Emotionally, welcome new relationships in your life by making it a point to meet people—volunteering comes naturally to the caring Kapha nature and can provide a forum for building nurturing new bonds.
2. Start your day with a light breakfast. Eat a sustaining meal at lunch and a lighter meal for dinner. Drink warm ginger tea before food to stimulate the usually slow digestive fire of kapha. Fasting on Khichadi Diet is advised for kapha people, It the best way to bring down the heaviness of the body.
3. Daily elimination is very important to prevent ama from accumulating in the body. Herbal remedies described in ayurveda is a tea spoonful of castor oil at bedtime with warm ginger tea helps promote regularity as well as toning the digestive system. Most common herbal remedy is Triphala which is gentle, not habit forming and not depleting, it can also be taken indefinitely to maintain regularity.
4. Taking a dry massage with herbal powders that are hot in potency is very good for balancing the kapha dosha. It melts the excessive fat under the skin & eliminates them Deep-cleanse oily skin twice a day with a natural cleanser to rid the skin of surface impurities and grime. Once a week, exfoliate your skin with a cleansing scrub or chickpea flour with coriander powder. Shampoo your hair every other day at least with a gentle natural shampoo. The warm ayurvedic oil massage, performed alternate days at night and kept overnight can help dislodge embedded toxins and increase natural energy levels. Taking bath with hot water is also equally good. It gives an immediate energy & lightness of body.
5. Protect yourself from the damp and cold. Drink lots of warm water, infused with warming spices such as turmeric, dried ginger and black pepper. At-home steam therapy can help open clogged channels. Taking sunbath and exposure to hot and dry wind is good.
6.Ayurveda says kapha people tend to put on weight. So following a proper exercise regime helps to maintain weight. Vigorous activities are ideal exercise for Kapha-dominant people. Exercise everyday for best results, but without overstraining. Racquetball, singles tennis, jogging and aerobics are good activity choices for balancing Kapha. Exercise and meditation in the morning if you can to get a good charge for the day ahead and If proper exertion is not given, it may lead to sleepiness and to laziness.Also herbal remedies should be used to digest the excess mucus and fat.
7. If Kapha dosha is out of balance, you’ll tend to feel tired even after a solid ten hours of uninterrupted sleep. Go to bed early and wake up really early in the morning, definitely before sunrise, to improve the quality of your rest. Do not indulge in daytime snoozes.
8. Add zest to your life by consciously incorporating variety and new experiences into your life. Travel, meeting new people and trying new hobbies are ways to embrace change.Frequent indulgence in sex is also good for kapha people.
9. Set aside about 30 minutes each day for meditation, to help balance the heart, mind and emotions and to enhance body-mind-spirit coordination.
Herbal remedies : Slikona Guggul Amritprabha Medohar Guggul Laxigen Pulmotone Kasno Suswas
Panchkarma : Herbal ayurveda massages with dry powders, Dry Pind swed massage, Herbal steam
Kapha related disorders: Diabetes, asthma, Respiratory disorders, Sinusitis, Obesity, weight gain