Ojas is a Sanskrit word which literally means “vigor or Shakti which means Energy“. According to the principles of Ayurveda , it is the essential energy of the body and when sufficient it is equated with immunity and, when deficient, results in weakness, fatigue, immune system related disorders like cancer, Crohn’s disease, HIV, Sarcoidosis, Multiple Sclerosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Ojas is both the gateway and the container. It is the gateway between consciousness and physiology, between spiritual and material. As the subtlest physical, it is a container. It contains the flow of cosmic energy (Prana) which is the life energy that performs respiration, oxygenation, and circulation. All motor and sensory functions are linked to prana from Atman through the individual.
Ojas is the first material expression of consciousness. It is both manifest and unmanifest. It pervades the body, like ghee in the milk or sweetness in the sugarcane. It has a yellowish-red color, looks like ghee, tastes like honey. It is similar to balanced Kapha only not as heavy.
Ojas is Primal vigor. Ojas is the subtle energy of water, the stored-up vital reserve, the basis for physical and mental strength and endurance. It allows the body-mind’s balanced functioning. Ojas is responsible for maintaining contentment, luster, strength, and health.It is produced at every stage of digestion and is the finest end product of digestion. As such, it is the essence of the body tissues (dhatus).
There are 5 Factors Which Increase Ojas
- Behavioral Rasayanas like truth,Love, Devotion, Helping nature, Non voilence, Peaceful mind
- Devotion or bhakti yoga unconditional faith in God or Jesus or Super consciousness
- Medicinal Rasayanas (includes ojas increasing foods) like amla, shilajit, ashwaganda, holy basil, guduchi and shatavari.
- Satvic Diet and Lifestyle like Ghee , almonds, Dates , Sweet Fruits , Rice and Fresh Vegetables and Pranayama
- Eliminating Ama with the help of Panchkarma and Taking Castor oil or Triphala at bedtime.
There are 7 Factors which hamper the flow of transformation of the Dhatus causing Ojas to be Less or Imbalanced:
- Excessive injury/ harm to the body or many accidents and Mental Traumas will derange vata and causes fast ageing and less Ojas
- Excessive loss of substance like too much Vomiting , Diarrhea , loss of fluids , heavy bleeding or too much sweating will cause reduction in fluid and in turn reduction in ojas
- Overexertion increases vata and ageing process
- Excessive anger will derange the pitta or digestive fire resulting in metabolism disturbance and decrease ojas production
- Excessive grief aggravates vata and disturbs sleep and reduces Ojas
- Excessive thinking , worries and anxiety also aggravates vata inside the brain causing drying of ojas
- Excessive hunger or fasting or dieting will cause decrease in ojas production
Supplements for improving OJAS and IMMUNITY
IMMUGEN and AYURJA are excellent for improving quality and quantity of ojas
During pregnancy, prana enters into the womb and then fetus through the navel. It is prana that regulated the circulation of ojas in the fetus. If anything is wrong in prana, any fetal disorder could arise. This is the reason why Ayurveda recommends goodness at every level of pregnancy, before and after it. This results in imbalances in ojas and tejas.
Ojas is the essence of all seven dhatus or bodily tissues. Ojas is the vital energy that governs the hormonal balance.
Ojas is related to kapha and any imbalance in kapha imbalances ojas. This is true vice versa as well. It is necessary for pregnant women to maintain optimum levels of ojas and kapha,. Fetus needs to grow healthily and displaced ojas prevents it from doing so.
Decreased ojas, on the other hand, creates vata-related problems both in the mother and the growing baby. Vata problems in this case include general weakness, fear, perception issues, loss of consciousness, and even death.
During the eighth month of pregnancy, ojas finds its passage into the fetus from the body of the mother. This transfer of ojas is essential for the overall wellbeing of the baby. Ayurveda attributes death of premature deliveries to lack of ojas in the fetus.
Abundance of ojas in the mother is responsible for the love and compassion she develops for her baby. It is also presumed that higher the ojas, attractive is the baby.
Ghee helps to enhance ojas. And pranayama can transform ojas into a fine-tuned inner strength. It is thus not a bad idea for the mother to indulge in light meditation before planning to conceive. The effects linger till long after giving birth to the baby.